President Trump on Sunday unveiled a school-safety plan that seeks to steer military vets and retired cops into the educational system — and provide firearms training for “specially qualified” school personnel.
Trump also called on Congress to pass pending legislation to strengthen instant, federal background checks on gun buyers, and earmark $50 million annually for technology and other programs to prevent school violence.
Other proposals include having every state follow Florida’s lead in allowing judges to issue “extreme risk protection orders” so cops can seize guns and ammunition from people who pose a threat to themselves or others.
That measure was included in a gun-control law that Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed on Friday, in the wake of the Feb. 14 shooting spree that killed 14 students and three staffers at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.
“Every child deserves to grow up in a safe community surrounded by a loving family and to have a future filled with opportunity and with hope,” Trump said in a prepared statement.
The president’s plan — which doesn’t include raising the minimum age for buying firearms to 21, which Trump repeatedly proposed last month — was outlined during an evening conference call between reporters and Administration officials.
Andrew Bremberg, Trump’s Director of the Domestic Policy Council, said the plan came together after multiple listening sessions Trump held, including the emotional Feb. 21 White House session with survivors, teachers and parents of slain students.