President Trump issued a new travel ban Sunday evening to restrict visitors and immigrants from eight countries that have “inadequate” vetting procedures.
“Making America Safe is my number one priority. We will not admit those into our country we cannot safely vet,” Trump tweeted Sunday in announcing immigration policy.
Trump’s March 6 executive order that covered travelers from six countries — Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Sudan and Yemen — expired Sunday evening.
The new proclamation will maintain travel restrictions on Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen. Sudan has been dropped from the list.
But traveling from three new countries will now be suspended and limited: Chad, North Korea and Venezuela.
“These restrictions are both vital to national security and conditions based,” a senior Administration official said Sunday.
The travel restrictions on the new countries will kick in at 12:01 am on Oct. 18. Guidelines will be sent to embassies and consulates on how to implement the new proclamation. The Supreme Court had already decided under the previous travel ban people with a “bonafide” relationship to the United States would still be welcomed and such waivers are expected to remain in place.
Anyone with a valid visa currently will not have their travel documents revoked, senior Administration officials told reporters Sunday.
This year, the Trump Administration conducted a worldwide review of immigration and travel procedures to ensure national security. The Administration concluded seven countries don’t meet standards for information sharing and screening to ensure visitors to the US don’t pose a threat: Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Syria, Venezuela, and Yemen.
The eighth, Somalia, “generally satisfies” the requirements, but restrictions were needed because of the “government’s inability to effectively and consistently cooperate” and the “significant” terror threat emanating from the country, according to the president’s proclamation.