With Donald Trump’s presidential aspirations seemingly at risk, his wife, Melania, broke her silence Saturday about a leaked video that showed her husband making lewd remarks about women. She called his comments “unacceptable and offensive.”
But in a written statement issued by his campaign, Melania Trump also defended her husband, saying the vulgar remarks were not reflective of him and that she had accepted his apology and hoped others would, too.
“The words my husband used are unacceptable and offensive to me. This does not represent the man that I know. He has the heart and mind of a leader,” she said. “I hope people will accept his apology, as I have, and focus on the important issues facing our nation and the world.”
Her comments came roughly 24 hours after a video emerged of the celebrity businessman bragging in explicit terms about kissing, groping and trying to have sex with women. The conversation, leaked to the Washington Post, was captured on an open microphone during a 2005 interview with “Access Hollywood,” and it included the future Republican presidential nominee boasting about his attempt to seduce a married woman and bragging that he could get away with “anything” with women because of his celebrity status.
“When you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything,” Trump said in the recording.
The shocking comments were made just months after he had married Melania, his third wife, whom he had been dating since 1998. At the time, she was pregnant with their son, Barron, who is now 11.
After first dismissing the comments as nothing more than “locker-room banter,” the GOP nominee offered a feeble apology for the statements, implying in a 90-second video released early Saturday that he had grown as a person through his unlikely bid for the White House.
“Anyone who knows me knows these words don’t reflect who I am,” Trump declared. “I said it, I was wrong, and I apologize.”